Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Five

1. Yesterday, for practice reading, each of the kids read the BOB book entitled, "OK, Kids." The book begins, "Mom and Dad had ten kids." I chuckled as each of my kids declared, upon reading this, "Wow! That's a lot of kids!" I mean, really, who in their right mind has 10 KIDS!?

2. Yesterday, and again this morning, Lily proactively selected a book and brought it to me to read to her. I do individual story time with my children each day. Most of them initiate this on their own. Lily never has. I have always chosen the book (though I try to encourage her to make the choice) and invited her to read with me. She always enjoys the quality, one-on-one time, but she never initiates it. In addition to initiating story time, she also held on to my finger and moved it along the words as I read while trying to repeat what I was saying. She is making the connection! Have I mentioned that, in the past month, she has also learned to recognize all of her letters and can say almost all of her letter sounds? HUGE! I have been delinquent in sharing information about Lily's struggles and her progress over the past year. I hope to remedy that soon, but please believe me when I say that each sweet, seemingly little, morsel such as this is equivalent to a decadent piece of chocolate cake (gluten-free, of course) where Lily is concerned.

3. Last Friday, Richard and I drove to Cincinnati to complete our USCIS fingerprints, necessary for the approval of our I800A. Personally, I always DREAD this part of the process. USCIS officer's (and most government employees for that matter) are generally not known for their exceptional customer service. It can make rolling out of bed at 5 am so that you can drive through rush hour traffic in order to be fingerprinted for the millionth time in the past 4 years, a really miserable experience. Imagine my delight and surprise when we walked into the office and were greeted with a smile and a very friendly and personable government employee! In addition to the positive experience with USCIS, I welcome any opportunity I am given to spend some quality time ALONE with my husband. . .even if it is sitting in morning rush hour traffic :-)

4. It is currently 65 degrees outside (and has been for most of the week)! FALL! My favorite time of year. Now if I could just channel my inner Mary Poppins, snap my fingers and have my children's summer and fall/winter wardrobes switch themselves, I'd be in heaven!

5. Last Saturday evening, Lukas lost his very first tooth. By Sunday night a second tooth was hanging by a thread. He was hesitant to pull it out, afraid that it would hurt. Despite our best efforts, we could not convince him to let us pull the tooth. Finally, Jacob piped up from the next room, "Think of the money Lukas! We'll be rich!" Richard and I are still laughing about it days later. Unfortunately, the promise of riches did not persuade Lukas to action. That tooth is still resting precariously in Lukas' mouth today :-)

7 comments:

Tyler, Claire, and Kylie. said...

I don't think I will have to chance to remember what a REAL fall is like until maybe December or so - but it has been in the 90's here this past week which is a first since we have moved out here so I guess that's a plus! It's supposed to be over 100 again by next week though.

And tell Jacob that Aunt Claire likes where his head is at ;-)

Courtney said...

I hear you on the clothing changes! I have to get to that either today or tomorrow. The kids are starting to complain about being cold!

MoonDog said...

miss you guys! heading to PA for sept 30 appt. and again for Oct 12 Osteotomies. will you be around? sure would love to see you and those little Reibens. it stinks that we live so far away! Tell Evan we got a new tractor for the farm! no cows though = )

Valerie said...

Courtney- My kids have been walking around the house in t-shirts, shorts and their winter coats and boots all morning. I think they might be trying to tell me something!

Valerie said...

Tammy- We miss you too!! We are supposed to be heading back to Philadelphia for a week at the beginning of October (still waiting on dates) so that Alayna can get her prosthesis and do some training. Now that I know when you'll be there, you'd better believe I'll be pushing for those dates!!

Mamapierce said...

How funny! We'll be rich! If only, right?

Amy McArthur said...

I too relish any time alone with my hubby. On Sundays after depositing all of our children in their classes, our callings both allow us some time in the second hour to walk the halls together holding hands. The ward jokes about it being our "weekly date" which would be more funny if it weren't actually true. Also, "think of the money." Priceless. It's nice to check in on you guys.