Monday, September 26, 2011

Memory Lane Monday- To Eternity and Beyond

On Saturday evening I had the privilege of attending the General Relief Society Broadcast. For those who are unfamiliar with "Relief Society," this is the organization within the LDS church for women 18+. The General Relief Society Broadcast occurs once every year and is comprised of inspirational messages from the churches leadership to women worldwide.

This broadcast always occurs the Saturday following our anniversary. A week after Richard and I were married, I attended the broadcast. I do not remember all of the words that were spoken, but I do vividly remember walking out to my car that evening to go home. In the driver's seat were seven, beautiful roses (one for each day we had been married) and a card that read, "Thanks for an amazing first week. Looking forward to the rest of eternity!"

Though I no longer receive roses on the seat of my car when I leave the broadcast each year, I know that I will find a loving, supportive husband at home who has fed, bathed and put the kids to bed, the dishes will be done, and the laundry cycling, because he understands the importance of the lessons I will learn and the spirit that I will bring home. With eight young children who still need a lot of encouragement and assistance, this is no small feat, but he does it willingly because he loves me, then, now and for eternity.

I am blessed to be married to a man who supports and encourages me in all of my endeavors. Richard spends most of his time "behind the scenes" (exactly where he likes to be. . .he holds his anonymity sacred) working hard to support this family that we have built. Very rarely does he receive the praises and accolades that he deserves (he is possibly the hardest working person I have ever met), but it should be noted that I could not do anything that I do without him standing beside me. So to my husband I say, "Thanks for nine amazing years! Looking forward to the rest of eternity!"

The General Relief Society Broadcast was once again, uplifting and inspiring, especially the address given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. While specifically addressing women of the LDS faith, I believe that his address will uplift and inspire ALL daughters of God, regardless of their faith, and I encourage you all to take the time to be inspired by his words.

No comments: