Monday, October 29, 2007

More Setbacks

Unfortunately we were not able to obtain Joshua's passport today as we had hoped, so we are still in Samarkand. While I am disappointed, I keep reminding myself that, less than a week ago, we did not think we would have the passport until late this week, so we are still ahead of the game. While this will set us back another day, there is still a very good chance that we will be able to process through the Embassy this week and go home on Sunday as scheduled. According to the passport officials we should receive the passport between 9-11 am tomorrow morning. Once we have the passport we will drive back to Tashkent. Our coordinator is planning to take all of the documents (which were translated over the weekend to save time) to the Embassy as soon as we arrive to hopefully expedite the process a bit. We will likely arrive too late for Joshua's medical evaluation, so we will have to do that later in the week along with the rest of the Embassy requirements. I am still a bit nervous about the Embassy process (although I am hoping that it will be the smoothest part of this journey) and hope that they will be able to get us through everything we need to do in the short time that we have.

It has been a long day of waiting and wondering. I feel like I was handed a blind fold once we arrived in Uzbekistan, to wear during the roller coaster ride in country. So many ups and downs, but I cannot see when they are coming! Our coordinator has done a wonderful job at keeping us informed of everything that is happening, but I think that she too, is hanging on for dear life as she waits for the next drop or climb to come!

On top of the anxiety that comes with waiting and wondering, my sweet baby has been very sick. He was sick when we picked him up from the Baby House on Friday. He seemed to be feeling a bit better yesterday, but today he woke up absolutely miserable with terrible congestion and a nasty cough. He is also cutting 4 teeth and is obviously in pain. Despite all of this he remains a very happy baby for the most part! It amazes me how, though the misery he must be feeling, he is still able to laugh and smile! Have I mentioned how much I love this baby! He makes every minutes we have spent on this roller coaster of adoption worth it! Nothing makes me happier and nothing makes my worries and stress disappear quite like Joshua's beautiful smile!

So, it has been a bumpy ride today, but I am hopeful that we will have the passport tomorrow and be on our way back to Tashkent to wrap things up! What a crazy adventure this has been!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Valerie, hang in there. Sorry for the setback! I am prying for you everyday on this journey overseas to collect your baby. And I hope baby Josh feels better real soon!

--beckymiller75 from TTC

Anonymous said...

Val-Bri is sick and teething too, and I can't imagine doing it in a foreign country with a baby who is mine, but who I barely met. You are such an inspiration! Can I be like you when I grow up? It doesn't really matter that I'm older than you does it?:) We continue to send prayers and well wishes your way.--Sarah

Anonymous said...

Val-Bri is sick and teething too, and I can't imagine doing it in a foreign country with a baby who is mine, but who I barely met. You are such an inspiration! Can I be like you when I grow up? It doesn't really matter that I'm older than you does it?:) We continue to send prayers and well wishes your way.--Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Val, I just love the pictures of Joshua. He sure does have a beautiful smile and looks so happy. I'm glad he is getting a medical evaluation Tuesday because I know you are concerned about his cough. I'm just really praying for his improved health so that he can handle the long flight back to the US. We all continue to pray that you are able to come back this next weekend. I can't wait to hug him. I love your postings aboaut your first times with him.

Jennifer said...

Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and praying for your safe return on Sunday with your BEAUTIFUL little boy! If I've learned just one thing during this process, it is that God answers prayer and performs miracles!